Two of my new year’s resolutions for 2015 were to have more FUN and to connect more with friends throughout the year. So my idea was to plan one special fun, friend focused get-away each month—my “fun with friends weekends”. Usually, my new years resolutions involve things like eating better, going to the gym and losing weight and not too surprisingly, by February (if even that long) I’ve dropped them. This year’s “fun, friend focused” resolution worked out so much better! Sometimes, I made special plans to get away for the weekend. Other times, I tagged the trip onto a work trip. I was traveling a lot for work this year and a happy upside was being able to connect work and fun every now and then. Looking back, it was a fun year and I am glad to have had a chance to spend time with so many wonderful friends. My friends are my family and you’ve all been a rock for me, through some difficult times in my life. I’m so glad and grateful to have you all in my life.
- January: girls weekend in Mendocino with Michelle. Skunk train, redwoods and beautiful views.
- February: Santa Fe weekend with Noelle. Bandelier cliff dwellings, art and great food.
- March: Berlin and Trabi-safari with Beth, George and Grace
- April: London visit and theater with Sarah.
- May: a big month! Santa Cruz boardwalk and roller coaster with friends for my birthday. Rhode Island for my 25th college reunion.
- June: vacation with my cousins and their kids at Blue Waters. A week of sun, sand and waterslides!
- July: Florence with my friend Sophia and her mom. Amazing italian food, gelato and shopping.
- August: Tassajara weekend with Phil for his birthday. Hiking, hot springs and zen.
- September: “just for me” weekend in Zurich before a work trip. Walks on the lake, chocolate and more chocolate!
- October: dinner with Noelle in Chicago while at the Society for Neuroscience meeting. Escaping from the neuroscience madness to see Noelle and her parents.
- November: Washington DC weekend with Noelle, Aidan and Keira.
- December: celebrating work anniversaries and end of the year with a decadent and delicious dinner at Espalier with my work friends.
So many happy memories! I didn’t plan it as a “waiting games” strategy, but my year of “fun with friends” ended up giving me something to look forward to and help pass the time in this waiting limbo. I had such fun that I might repeat the new year’s resolution this year!