During one part of the process for writing and designing my adoption letter, the designer I was working with suggested exercises to stir the creative juices for writing the text for the letter. One was to make a list of the five things you hope to teach your child. I didn’t end up using this for the letter, but was inspired and came up with ten. To be honest, I’m still learning some of these myself—see #6!
So, here they are…
Ten things I hope to teach my child:
- Be curious. Ask questions. Explore the world around you.
- Be kind and loving with others.
- True friends are rare finds. Cherish them.
- Learn to look on the bright side, even when it’s hard to find.
- Work hard but have fun too.
- Embrace imperfection
- Respect yourself and others too.
- Be open-minded and don’t judge.
- Be brave—you can do anything.
- Above all, be true to yourself